Hospital Plant Operator
Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital is a 74-bed full-service hospital. Located in the heart of Tempe, near Arizona State University, the hospital offers a broad range of medical services and accredited physicians to care for a diverse and dynamic community. Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital is equipped with sophisticated medical technology, features all private rooms, electronic health records and wireless Internet access. The hospital’s experienced team of doctors and nurses work together to provide expert care and the best possible patient experience. To learn more about Tempe St. Luke’s Hospital, click here: Tempe St. Luke's Hospital
Position Title: Maintenance/Plant Operator
- Perform regularly scheduled preventive maintenance work on plant and lift station equipment; maintain records of maintenance work done on equipment; disconnect equipment prior to removal.
- Performs a variety of general maintenance tasks throughout the hospital to ensure efficient operations of hospital equipment and fixtures in accordance with set codes, standards, policies, and procedures.
- Performs corrective maintenance on plant equipment and process systems such as parts replacement, equipment changes, cleaning of tanks and basins.
- Maintains equipment and structures at treatment plants and remote sites, including pumps, wet wells, lift stations, which may require confined space entry.
- Inspects, operates, adjusts, calibrates, and repairs water filtration equipment, water well pumps, water storage tanks, water/sewage pumping stations, wastewater pumps, valves, air compressors, meters, equipment control panels, programmable controllers, emergency generators, wastewater facility equipment.
- Reads, maintains, and repairs gauges and meters to ensure the proper operations of water and wastewater systems.
- Does minor electrical and plumbing work to assure continued use for patients, physicians, visitors, employees, etc.
- Monitors, operates, inspects, and maintains a variety of mechanical equipment and services in the hospital to ensure proper operation and uninterrupted services to the hospital
- Performs a variety of activities to ensure compliance with safety requirements / regulations.
- Completes record keeping requirements for documentation to satisfy our regulatory agencies: City, State, JCAHO/DNV, Insurance, etc.
- Adheres to institutional policies to assure consistency and quality in health care delivery. Participates, as appropriate, in departments continuous quality improvement plan by measuring, assessing, and improving performance to impact the overall quality of clinical and support activities / processes.
- Supports and adheres to the St. Luke’s Health System philosophy that serving our patients, physicians, visitors and employees calls for outstanding personal care and attention.
- Performs a variety of plumbing and metal fabrication duties.
- Troubleshoots and diagnoses problems with industrial-type mechanical, electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic equipment; performs a variety of electrical tests, understands, reads and uses blueprints, ladder diagrams, construction and mechanical drawings to isolate and correct problems.
- Lubricates and packs pumps; replaces mechanical seals and other worn or damaged parts on pumping equipment.
- Maintains up-to-date and accurate manuals and reference guides, records, and logs of operating conditions of equipment and maintenance work performed by entering data on a computer for tracking repairs and maintenance of completed work orders.
- Maintains repairs parts and supply inventory.
- Uses and maintains a variety of hand tools, power tools, electrical testing devices and hoisting equipment.
- Assist’s water and wastewater crews when necessary.
- Provides direction to assisting staff, instructs them in proper work procedures and safety precautions.
- Maintains water and wastewater buildings, structures and general facility grounds at remote facilities and lift stations, including weed abatement.
- Maintains tools, vehicles, equipment, and work areas in a clean, safe condition.
- Utilizes a computer, to prepare documents, print forms, use the City’s work order system.
- Make recommendations with supporting information that evaluates the cost-effectiveness of repair versus replacement.
- Conduct safety inspections on assigned vehicles, plant equipment and facilities.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Conducts maintenance on hospital equipment and fixtures to assure the safety and comfort of patients, physicians, visitors, employees, etc.
- Handles calls from the daily House Call Sheets.
- Conducts preventative maintenance checks on hospital equipment and fixtures.
- Hangs pictures, bulletin boards, etc., as requested.
- Moves equipment and office furniture as needed.
- Responds to temperature calls.
- Makes minor repairs to electrical equipment.
- Maintains electrical hospital beds in a safe and proper working manner.
- Assists in running wiring through the buildings.
- Makes minor plumbing repairs to water, sewer, air and steam lines and all plumbing fixtures, i.e., sinks, toilets, faucets, valves, etc.
- Maintains water softeners for proper operation
- Does minor repair work on pneumatic tube system and clean conveyor
- Operates, services, and maintains steam boilers, emergency generators, air handlers, centrifugal refrigeration machines, pumps, cooling towers and all other auxiliary equipment in accordance with established procedures.
- Operates and maintains emergency generators according to established procedures.
- Performs water testing on boilers, cooling towers, water softeners, chilled water closed system, hot water heating closed system and incoming city water according to set procedures
- Responds to trouble calls on elevators. Determines action to be taken.
- Performs sprinkler test to set procedures
- Responds appropriately to hospital codes as required.
- Air balance testing for positive / negative air pressure where required
- Emergency generator testing according to set procedures
- Monitors Central Plant computer to make sure that no equipment or safety devices are in alarm.
- Maintains accurate preventative maintenance records
- Reads and records data in a logbook at prescribed interval.
- Maintains daily logs of house calls.
- Assists in cleaning Plant Services Department and all related equipment rooms.
- Uses eye and ear protection when needed
- Uses safe working methods and universal precautions to avoid injury to self and others
- Cleans up work area upon completing / leaving job.
- Adheres to institutional and Plant Services policies and procedures.
- Assumes responsibility for attendance and appearance
- Understands and adheres to ethical code concerning confidentiality of patient matters.
- Identifies opportunities to improve work activities
- Complies with all guest relations house rules.
- Greets all patients, visitors, physicians, and employees in a friendly and courteous manner, providing information and assistance as appropriate.
- Maintains a professional demeanor in all dealings with patients, physicians, visitors, and employees
- Achieves results with and through others interacts with other individuals / departments to achieve the common goal of quality health care.
- Communicates with other personnel / departments in a professional, caring, and effective manner
- Share’s ideas / suggestions that will contribute to improving the quality of service.
- Is pro-active in dealing with problems / complaints.
- Attends in-service programs.
- Maintains a current education record.
- Vocational training / experience in carpentry, painting, electrical and plumbing trades
- High School/GED
- 3 to 4 years previous Central Plant (boiler room) experience in a hospital or industrial plant.
- 2 years previous experience in general maintenance work
- Must have a valid AZ driver’s license
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing
We have many plans with various deductibles, which can cover individuals or families, so you can customize a plan that will work for you! Steward Health Care works with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts to provide affordable health insurance for our employees in benefit eligible positions. Our Health Plans Highlights are:
- Deductibles will not apply to services provided by a Steward provider (Tier 1).
- Office visits copays will be $0 when a member uses a Steward Provider (Tier 1).
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse office visits will be $0 for all In-Network providers (Tier1, Tier 2, and Tier 3).
Other Benefits provided:
- Dental, Vision, Health Care Savings Account, Life Insurance, Short Term and Long-Term Disability, Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Time Off, Shift Differential, Tuition Reimbursement, and more.
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 129415